wiki:video-20100617

Version 1 (modified by https://id.mayfirst.org/malloryk, 8 years ago) (diff)

--

Ict.ussf2010.org

ICT/RR meeting: June 17, 2010

Streaming Video Jamie: Streaming is a terrible word. Live video-streaming: what is happening on camera is instantly being transmitted over the internet, on the computer screen. The live aspect gives another dimension to the internet, it helps convey a real sense of people belonging to the process, being involved.

We should use the word “archive” for recording an audio/video segment.

Oya: Also, on-demand.

Jamie: Yes, audio on-demand and video on-demand is another way to describe archives.

Mallory: At recent meetings, we’ve tried to work out what DEX means. Oya, Alfredo, Rose, David, myself, and Scott met in a breakout session; take the concept of DEX and merging it with the live video streams of workshops. Came up with rough schedule – how many hours per day, how much of culture, USSF TV for an hour a day, opening every day with that, these were some of the ideas we discussed.

Criteria - which workshops would be covered, minimizing the workshops in favor of culture, and prioritize DEX workshops. We also decided to feature the opening and closing plenaries. We decided to also do Detroit-Highlighted all day on Sat. (still needs to be programmed), also will cover the four PMAs and closing ceremonies.

Adele: who will be doing this, recording/filming at what time?

Jamie: First we need the schedule, then we’ll figure out who’s doing what.

Alfredo: URL of the rough schedule: ict.ussf2010.org/wiki/tv_guide

This has never been done quite like this before, using web-streaming in an innovative way. Cochabamba conference was one of the first int’l event to do this. We have to start collaborating, we can’t fix these things ourselves. If we are going to collaborate worldwide, we have to do this. The USSF does frequently take the lead in using these resources. This is a technological give-back, and hopefully movements throughout the world will be able to use it.

Mallory: DEX model came out of WSF, and has been in many since. BOLEX – but only focused on video conferencing through Skype, because they wanted people to be able to talk to each other. My concern is being able to have people from other parts of the country/world to be able to speak back to us, to contribute.

Jamie: We could have two-way audio conferencing…

Mallory: In the short time we have left, let’s figure out one thing we could do (later – probably a chat)

Adele: How will the schedule be decided?

Mallory: great question. I’d like to get something together, and then get feedback from people.

Oya: We need to cover all the tracks, so none of these are excluded.

Mallory: Who is the point person for Detroit Highlighted?

Oya: Ife Kilmanjaro

Mallory: We should try to get a schedule together for Saturday; at least a rough one, so the NPC can see it.

Jamie: The sooner we get the schedule agreed upon, the sooner we can answer Adele’s question.

Oya: Because of the culture schedule, some artists we want to highlight. We can’t cram them all into one session. Maybe we could have a first and second tier…

Jamie: I’d like to have a way where we identify all people wanting to shoot video, hand out the list of priorities, and fill in the people who will shoot it.

Karlos: Then some of that could be the on-demand/archive video, and audio.

Ross: Do we have Free Speech TV streaming?

Jamie: I’m picturing a page where people see one video stream. We might have links to other pages where others are streaming, but we’re choosing one stream to make a targeted impact. The ICT is preparing a live stream crew, and we want to cover all our bases so we have the equipment and know we’d be able to get something up. But our goal is to work with pro video people. Free Speech TV is filming, and will go out on livestream.com…We should have multiple teams going out filming things, and periodically switching from one to another. So on the USSF stream page, you will see what we want to focus on at that time.

Scott: Can a pro get matched up with others who are more novice, so they can learn?

Mallory: On Sunday, 4pm, the all-hands meeting can address some of those questions.

Platforms: Mallory: This is a tech question as well as a political question.

Jamie: the live video streaming in Cochabamba was using Flash protocol, with open source software. It was smooth and functional. For us, that’s the bottom line. In terms of access – there’s two kinds. We want as many people to be able to use this, which means using what most people have, which is flash. We also want the option of a free open source format, Our goal is to do two streams – one in Ogg, which is free, and the other is to use flash. So we want people to have access, but also have the option of the free format.

Mallory: For on-demand, we’re looking at creating a USSF page where people can upload video. At the WSF, they use Plumi. We have a good relationship with the folks who did that – wsftv.net. We’ll use Plumi for the video archive.

Video.ussf2010.org

Adele: ICT is basically building this foundation, and we’re looking to you to do that. A lot of people coming in with their own equipment might not know what to do.

Mallory: if they don’t have their own website to upload to, we can help them. There are going to be links everywhere, but we will have the basics covered. Beyond that, folks will be able to do what they want. The PMC will also have computers/resources available for them to use and learn.

We want to encourage media making, so if someone needs help uploading a video to their YouTube channel, we should help them do it.

Scott: The live streaming might not be pretty, or work very well at times (interruptions)…

Alfredo: The quality of streaming is poor, that is the value of the archive, for on-demand, which will be a higher quality.

We’re doing this because we want to do it as a political gesture, as an experience, so people are part of what we’re doing here. The technology will improve, and we’ll be there. Our movement will know how to use it.

Dave: It feels like we’re talking about envisioning what we could do. We don’t need to talk it up, it’s gonna be great.

Alfredo: Question – who does what on camera? When you review the schedule, between 1 and 2 there’s a TV show. It will be a rundown of the day’s events, excerpts from the morning, interviews…

Jamie: It’s a lot of work.

Alfredo: It will be collaborative, obviously, but we need a point person. Who will host it, help coordinate it, we need a production team. How do we make the switches and transitions between shows? Who decides what feeds we’re going to take? Those are political questions…We need some collaboration, a team to start figuring it out now, and work on it.

Jamie: What’s the schedule going to be? We’re talking about a timetable based on what Oya will provide…

Alfredo: If Free Speech is running a stream, and we’re running another stream, someone has to make the decision about what to show. Someone is going to have to make a political decision at some point.

Adele: For PMC, we talked about creating different spaces, and how we’re organizing and prioritizing this. We should have as our starting point the people who have been working on this up until this point.

Jamie: We’re probably going to be scrambling…

Alfredo: Who is making those decisions? These are not ICT decisions – we should be participating in them, but we should not be making these decisions alone.

Jamie: We need a table in the PMC dedicated to the live video stream, and whoever is at that table makes the decision about what to go to.

Scott: These are the decisions a program manager makes. But we don’t want to do it that way.

Mallory: This is something we can communicate with Adrienne about, the point person.

Oya: For the show, the person I talked about was Dina.

Adele: I can talk to her.

Oya: About the language, have a conversation with her.

Scott: We’ll have to have meetings in the mornings about putting the show together.

Dave: We need to keep it real; if we’re a few days out, and we realize we don’t have the people to make it happen, then we can’t make it happen.

Adele: Alfredo, what was your thought process around this?

Alfredo: So people could get a sense of what happened at the Forum, and so we can give an overview of the day, the theme of the day.

Mallory: It’s also about the USSF creating its own media, rather than just showing video as it happens.

Ross: There are elements we expect to have in this to make it manageable; should we have three NPC members speaking each day? What will that look like?

Alfredo: A rundown of things going on for each day, an overview, excerpts from events from the previous day or that morning. Like a report – someone is reporting on what is happening today, and what we’ll be focusing on.

Oya: Then we look at what they’re going to say…we need someone well-versed in the USSF who can speak to that.

Adele: Some of what we’re doing with the daily press briefing can collapse right into this….

Mallory: We need to keep talking about this on Saturday at the PMC/all hands on deck meeting. We have to give an overview of the racks, what we’re doing with DEX, DET-

Rapid Response

Adele: What is the best process for rapid response? I also want to hear from B, regarding security and emphasizing international solidarity.

Let’s form the team, figure out what systems we’re putting in place, and first/next steps, around all issues…

Mallory: Then let’s keep in mind that this is something all workings groups need to work on, so let’s talk about general goals and guidelines.

B: I’ve been putting together a national legal support team, meeting with folks dealing with security, with a special eye toward the unique approach, needs, dynamics that come from the communities we’re bringing to the forum – gender, people of different status…

Emergency/Rapid response: depends on the issue. An altercation between attendees, someone from the outside starting something with attendees, or an altercation between the state and one of our attendees. How do we respond to any of these to ensure the least possible harm to anyone? We need to figure out how we’re communicating among the groups/organizing body of the Forum, and another set of communication between what we are putting out to the world, the press, etc.

Rapid response involves both these questions: internal communications and external communications.

Mallory: there has been some conversation about this with staff. This Sat. would be a good time to lay all this out.

B: One of the key pieces with internal communications is tech and equipment. The security team will not have walkie-talkies, it will be all cell phone. I asked Mallory about building a text system – ops team, special teams who know how to respond quickly. For promotional purposes, safety purposes, where the social forum can say “text _ to this number.”

“Mobilize Us” has been donating its services in AZ, and they have agreed to donate their services to the Forum for the week. The more people on your list, the longer the text takes to be delivered.

Mallory was looking at an open source system that can integrate with Droople…this system is long-code system as opposed to short-code system (not sure if I got this right).

Mark: Can you do a blast?

B: In AZ, we have organizers on the loop. It is set up like a hub, so the messages can go along the spokes of that hub, and then to various groups. We should be able to have it set up by tomorrow.

Mallory: Mark will be able to help.

Scott: I can help too, but it’s pretty last minute…

Mallory: As our first priority, for a security team, this is good. Also, with the email gateway system, though it’s free, it doesn’t work for every carrier.

Mark: Getting people to sign up for it, even with a service like this, there will be issues. Knowing that there is someone who really needs to get on it, might have trouble.

B: I’m gonna have a team of 15 people specifically aware of how to deal with interventions…Gender Justice might have something in place for dealing with assault, for example.

Mark: Be careful what we can promise people; the people who have that should not be spread too thin.

B: Right. In terms of security rapid response, we should have it fleshed out by tomorrow night.

Adele: Regarding external communications, let’s brainstorm about things to look out for…in the info/comm packet, it explains that not everyone is able to speak on behalf of the USSF.

Dave: There are particular things we can imagine, if we just think of things off the top of our heads, we won’t be prepared. Things like the Zionist workshop, Hugo Chavez film are controversial…actions, certain people who will be there, like Bill Ayers. Other potential issues include Tea Parties, Immigration, Zionism, Bill Ayers, Hugo Chavez, Socialism/Communism, Israel/Palestine….

B: The different scenarios we’re thinking about for security involved I/P, if the Glenn Beck stuff picks up and there is a counter-protest, or any counter protest around anti-Zionism, immigration, etc. How do we create messaging around different things: if it’s this issue, what is our message? If it’s that issue, what is our message?

How do we deal with state violence, if we’re acted upon in that way? Other scenarios: theft, violence, the scenario of crime being carried out, where participants are victims of crime.

Dave: Among the left, like anarchists, there is some discussion of people trying to hijack this…(couldn’t hear all of what Dave was saying here)

B: …and how the Forum does not support that action, nor did we plan for it or encourage it.

Dave: With rapid response decision making, what has to go to the NPC, what team…

Adele: We need to have some of our messaging done by Saturday. We’re going to have to build the tree, through the main point people.

B: It could be that we have certain people designated as spokespeople, and if the scenario is a counter protest, then we have someone do it. If the issue is about immigration, we send them to immigration, etc.

Scott: Some people are going to have to come together and talk about this – like a war room – where we can huddle, and then get it out quick.

In terms of things like Socialism – where does the Forum stand on this? We don’t take positions, and should stress that as a place of strength. We are a platform, we don’t have a stance – instead, the media person can speak with the people from the PMA.

We can’t be reactionary. Leading with strengths: it is an open space. We don’t support communism – we support bringing people together to discuss these issues, and we recognize that some people in that process will represent that perspective. We aren’t afraid of that.

Scott: Stress open space, prioritize Detroit, we are here to strengthen Detroit.

Dave: Karlos is good at this too.

Adele: Scott, Matthew, and Karlos should work together on this.

B: In terms of the WDIV thing, are we just reacting to a specific story, or creating a specific frame. So when a story happens like that, RR should also be to set up a story for the next day where we invite media to a garden with youth, etc., here’s why we’re coming to the Forum.

Dave: What are our possible levels of response? Do we put it on a press release and e-mail it out? Do we blog it? At what point to we ignore Fox news, and when do we directly address it?

Roberto: …this comes under the rubric of communications. I’m more interested if we have a fight break out because a trans person is in there…someone’s in trouble. Here’s what to do, who to call, how you negotiate…

Adele: Part of this is about what messages go out, and Comm coming together around certain messages, and talking to the point people. We’ll get together and talk about various situations…

Dave: Concerned about emergency medical number…there might be

Roberto: Folks from other groups should be here…

Mallory: We can create a basic model, which can or doesn’t have to be used by other teams.

Adele: The Comm/Media team is in place for a reason, and whatever anyone else wants to do, they have to let us know. So let’s figure out the means we’re using, and who our point people are.

Dave: Do we have lawyers around us? What liability issues come up?

B: We have National team of lawyers giving aid to the caravans if there’s any harassment, profiling, etc. The local NLG is on call, so is ACLU and specific trusted immigration lawyers on call.

Scott: Relationship with local police? How will that work? If people get together on street corner, will they be run off?

Mallory: they’ve ensured it will not get up to a certain level. Adrienne has this conflict resolution plan in place.

B: We have verbal assurances from all agencies that this will be just fine, and go off without problems.

Dave: With the workshops, people are just reacting to it. If we have our statements on gender justice, for example, at least it is clear. We have a lot of guidelines and principles, and regarding workshops, we’ve never really set the tone. For example, the respect Detroit piece and Detroit actions…

Adele: We can put a lot of that in messaging, and it is there online, but people aren’t going to it, they aren’t necessarily seeing it.

Adele:

Scott: In Copenhagen, a lot of the social media people were arrested and disappeared, so we didn’t have anyone.

Mallory: We’ll need to train different people to do different things.

Adele: So we’ll have a core of Comm. messaging people who will work on messaging, and work with point people from different groups to craft specific messages as the issues arise. So who are the point people?

Comm: Adele Interpretation/translation: Roberto B: Security David: Social Media

Gender Justice: Akudo, Rose, etc

I/P: Immigration:

Dave: How do we not let one thing take over the whole Forum? Who are the point people for these things? What if AIPAC took over one session? Who’s holding the space internally, but who’s holding it externally in the media? Who makes the decisions on if this WOC group gets to stop a plenary and start their own thing?

Adele: Cindy W. said there’s a lot of critique on the Forum and it’s all valid and all important. We can speak to the critique.

Scott: Its an incubator for political alternatives, so people will be pushing one thing and others will be pushing back.

Adele: (summarizing) We decided who some of the main point people are in this meeting. There are others we need to contact outside this room, folks who will deal with specifics issues.

Comm/media will look at the top issues we think could be controversial, and start working on framing.

Our means of internal communication are cell phone, text, or physically getting someone.

Lastly, external mediums: social media, sms, and print media – also spontaneous press briefing.